We had a long session at the allergist today - here's the lowdown:
- His asthma is finally under control - YAY! (insert cartwheels here!) Sticking with the daily med for the long term as it seems to be really working. QVAR seems to be something that works for us.
- We have a new allergy - boo - Hazelnuts (Nutella anyone?)
- His body produced IGE in response to hazelnuts, pecans, and walnuts. Anything over a 2 is considered an allergy.
- Hazelnuts was about 2.5 - if that number goes below a 2, they'd do a skin test and if that was also negative would do a food challenge to see if he's allergic or not. Not really an issue right now but just another nut we have to avoid from now on. (sigh)
- Pecans was about 4.5 - pretty similar to the numbers from Nov 2010. Not his worst, we'll deal with this one later.
- Walnuts was a 22. Had to kind of laugh at that. We might be looking at 3 years to get that number below a 2 on the IGE tests. We'll just have to see how it goes. In 2010 I think it was a 3.5 or a 4. Wow.
- Next Tuesday (28th) I'll have him all day at the allergist to start the desensitization program. I may be losing my mind in Brier Creek. So if there's a mushroom cloud over that way, you'll know it was just me. :)
Wish me sanity next week - wait ... wish me sanity every day.